2018-2022 electoral district map
Features of the district
LocationThis large rural district stretches from the Eyre Peninsula which it incorporates, along the Great Australian Bight to the border with Western Australia. The area is known for its commercial and recreational fishing and aquaculture industries in addition to mixed grain production and livestock land.
Approximately 58,901 km2
LocalitiesFlinders includes the City of Port Lincoln and the District Councils of Ceduna, Cleve, Elliston, Lower Eyre Peninsula, Streaky Bay and Wudinna, as well as a portion of the Pastoral Unincorporated Area which includes the localities of Fowlers Bay, Nullarbor and Yalata.
Flinders was a district for the Legislative Councils of 1851-1856. It was one of the original 17 state electorates created in 1856 and effective at the first elections held for a bicameral parliament in South Australia in 1857. It is the only district to have survived in name continuously through to the present day.
Origin of the nameThe district is named after Captain Matthew Flinders, RN (1774-1814) who made the first charts of the Australian coast and promoted the name Australia. In mid-1801 Flinders set out from England in the vessel ‘Investigator’ and surveyed the southern coastline of Australia. On his voyage back to England he was detained on the island of Mauritius for six years and finally returned home in 1810.
Key boundary changes compared to 2014
Flinders loses the District Council of Franklin Harbour incorporating the localities of Cowell, Lucky Bay, Midgee, Miltalie, Minbrie, Mitchellville and Port Gibbon.
For full details see 2016 Report of the Electoral Districts Boundaries Commission (PDF 1.8 MB).
Representation and results
Members since introduction of single member representation in 1938
|Edward J Craigie||IND||1938 - 1941|
|Rex W Pearson||LCL||1941 - 1951|
|Glen G Pearson||LCL||1951 - 1970|
|John A. Carnie||LCL||1970 - 1973|
|Peter D. Blacker||CP/NAT||1973 - 1993|
|Elizabeth M. Penfold||LIB||1993 - 2010|
|Peter A. Treloar||LIB||2010 -|