Special State enrolment categories

Special categories of enrolment exist for people with special needs or with specific circumstances that may affect their enrolment

Declaration voting

Depending on your personal circumstances, you may be eligible to be a registered declaration voter where you will be automatically sent by post a declaration vote at each State Election. For more information, refer to the Postal Voting page

Silent electors

Silent electors have their address suppressed from the electoral roll. If you believe that your safety or the safety of your family members may be at risk by having your address on the electoral roll, then you can apply to become a silent elector.

People applying to be silent electors can request their ballot papers for all elections to be sent to them by post.

For more information and to access the silent elector application form, visit the Australian Electoral Commission's silent electors page.

Going overseas

It is not compulsory to vote at South Australian elections if you are travelling or living overseas.

You will be automatically excused from voting at State elections if you notify the Australian Electoral Commission that you are living or travelling overseas. See the Australian Electoral Commission's going overseas page for notification forms and instructions.

If you were overseas for a State Election, or for a by-election, you will be excused for not voting. Complete the email form on the contact us page. Include your full name, date of birth, and enrolled address.

Enrolled South Australians living overseas can vote at state elections. You can apply for a postal vote, or vote at an overseas polling place. Information about those voting options will be available on this website before the next State Election in March 2018. If you are registered as an overseas elector with the Australian Electoral Commission you can also register to have ballot papers sent for state elections.

Enrolment for people with no fixed address

People with no fixed address have different enrolment and voting requirements.


There is a specific enrolment form for people with no fixed address. It is available:


If you are enrolled as a person with no fixed address you can vote at any polling place in South Australia or at an interstate early voting centre. See our Voting at the State Election page for instructions. If you are enrolled as a person with no fixed address and do not vote at an election you will not be fined. Your name will be removed from the electoral roll but you can re-enrol at any time.

Electors unable to sign their name due to physical incapacity

If you are unable to sign your name due to a physical disability you may get someone else to complete your enrolment form and sign it on your behalf.
You will need a registered medical practitioner to complete and sign the medical certificate on this form.
See the Australian Electoral Commission and select the South Australia – Unable to sign form.


It is compulsory for South Australian prisoners to vote in State elections and keep their enrolment details up to date. If you are currently serving a prison sentence you may need to update your enrolment details. See the Australian Electoral Commission and select the South Australia – Prisoner enrolment form

  Privacy   Accessibility   Sitemap   About us   Contact