Information about nominating
House of Assembly candidates may be:
- independent (not endorsed by a political party), or
- endorsed by a registered political party.
Independent candidates must be nominated by at least 20 persons who are enrolled and qualified to vote in the same district the candidate is intending to contest.
Nominations must be accompanied by a deposit of $1,000 in a banker's cheque (not a personal cheque) or electronic funds transfer (EFT) to the Electoral Commission of South Australia. If EFT is made you must provide a printed receipt showing successful lodgement of payment.
You must lodge the following with the returning officer for the district you are proposing to contest before the close of nominations:
- A completed nomination form
- The details and signatures of at least 20 nominators who are electors enrolled in the district you’re intending to contest
- A $1,000 deposit (banker’s cheque or EFT)
Registered political party endorsed candidates
To nominate as a candidate endorsed by a registered political party, complete a nomination form and return it to your party's registered officer. The registered officer may then lodge nominations directly with the Electoral Commission of South Australia.
Registered officers must submit the following before the close of nominations:
- all the party's nomination forms, and
- a deposit of $1,000 in banker's cheque or EFT for each candidate nominated
- Candidate Guide RO16 - (PDF, 1.7MB)
- Nomination deposit information - RO106 (PDF, 208KB)
- Nomination form RO40A lodge by party - Party endorsed candidate (PDF, 272KB)
- Nomination form RO40B lodge by candidate - Party endorsed candidate (PDF, 288KB)
- Nomination form RO44 - Independent candidate (PDF, 290KB)
- Nomination form RO44A list of nominators - Independent candidate (PDF, 267KB)
- Section 130Y Certificate - Unendorsed candidate or group (PDF, 187KB)
- Scrutineer appointment form RO59 (PDF, 228KB)
- Scrutineer guide RO18 - By-election (PDF, 1.3MB)
- Voting ticket lodged by registered officer RO42 - Party endorsed candidate (PDF, 250KB)
- Voting ticket lodged by candidate RO42 - Party endorsed candidate (PDF, 229KB)
- Voting ticket lodgement RO45 - independent candidate (PDF, 229KB)
Nomination kits are available from your local returning officer (details below) or from the Electoral Commission SA. Candidates endorsed by a registered political party may obtain their kits from the registered officer of the party.
Bragg By-election returning officer details:
Name: Bill Cinnamond
Phone: 0401 539 414