This information is for registered political parties.

For more information, refer to Part 13A of the Electoral Act 1985.


A registered political party must appoint an agent. The agent is responsible for ensuring that the party meets its funding and disclosure obligations.

To understand all the obligations relating to the appointment or cessation of an agent, refer to our  page.


An agent of a registered political party must do the following:

  • Maintain a State campaign account and ensure all gifts are deposited into that account and all political expenditure is paid from that account (sections 130K, 130L and 130N).
  • Ensure that a special assistance funding payment is not deposited into the State campaign account or used for political expenditure (section 130W).
  • Record information about gifts of $200 or more and loans of $1,000 or more (sections 130ZJ and 130ZK). For more information, see our Records and evidence page.
  • Lodge an annual political expenditure return, if the party's political expenditure during a financial year is more than $5,000 (indexed) (section 130ZR).
  • Lodge half-yearly political party returns within 30 days of the end of each half-yearly period (section 130ZN).
  • In the year of a general election, lodge additional political party returns (section 130ZN). For more information, visit our Political party and third party returns page.
  • Lodge a capped expenditure period return within 60 days of polling day if the party's total amount of political expenditure during the capped expenditure period exceeded $5,000 (indexed) (section 130ZQ).
  • Provide audit certificates for all returns lodged (section 130ZV).
  • Ensure that the party does not receive an amount of more than $500 for entry to an event, where the event is intended to raise money for the benefit of the party and it is advertised or promoted as an event where attendees will be given access to a Minister of the Crown or a Member of the Parliament of South Australia or a member of staff of the Minister or Member (section 130ZL).

Public funding scheme

To opt-in to the public funding scheme, a party must lodge a certificate under section 130Y. Once lodged, a certificate cannot be withdrawn. For more information, visit our Applying for public funding page.

Expenditure caps apply if a party opts-in to this scheme.

Penalties apply if a party or its members exceed their expenditure caps during the capped expenditure period.

For more information, refer to our Political expenditure caps page.