I haven’t worked at an election before, can I still register my interest?

Yes - prior electoral experience is not necessary.

Online training will be available for all positions with some positions requiring additional face-to-face training. Training will be paid (either as part of the fixed fee remuneration for Polling Day or separately for all hours for non-Polling Day roles) and must be completed prior to your first day (even if you have previously worked at an election).

The duty statement for each position will give an indication of the training requirements.

Do I need to be vaccinated to work at the election?

To be eligible for temporary election work, you must be vaccinated against COVID-19 or have an approved medical exemption from receiving the COVID-19 vaccine. To be considered for employment you must provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination status prior to receiving an offer of employment.

Will I need to wear a mask?

In most operational settings, face masks will be required whilst performing duties, even if not mandatory according to public health orders at the time.

I’m in Australia on a visa - can I apply to work at the election?

You will need to be an Australian or New Zealand citizen, a permanent resident of Australia or hold a current visa allowing you to work in Australian to work at the election.

I am living with disability - can I submit a Registration of Interest?

We value diversity and welcome applications from people living with disability. When you complete the Registration of Interest you will be asked to let us know if you need any adjustments to perform the role.

I am fluent in a language other than English – do you need to know?

If you are fluent in a language other than English, please advise us in your Registration of Interest.

It is important we have employees who can communicate in other languages as there are many local communities where it is beneficial to have polling staff able to communicate with electors in their language.

Can I work at the election if I am active in political affairs?

ECSA is committed to maintaining public confidence in the integrity of the electoral system and the impartiality of its employees.

Any person who is a member of a political party, or who has engaged in any political activity during the last three years or intends to be politically active during their period of employment, cannot be considered for appointment as a temporary election worker.

Persons engaged to work for ECSA are employed under the Electoral Act 1985 and are deemed public sector employees for the purposes of that Act. They are required to act in accordance with the Code of Ethics for the South Australian Public Sector and the Public Sector (Honesty and Accountability) Act 1995.

Failure to comply with either could be an offence and constitute grounds for termination of temporary employment Code of Conduct for Electoral Officer (321 KB).

How do I register my interest to work at the election?

Complete your Registration of Interest in the ECSA Employment Portal.

Alternatively, copy and paste the URL https://candidate.aurion.cloud/ecsa/production/ into the address bar of your web browser.

I worked at the last state election and would like to work at the 2022 State Election – do I need to complete a Registration of Interest?

Yes. Everyone who wants to work at the 2022 election will need to complete a Registration of Interest, including people who have worked at previous elections.

My family wanted to work together at the election - can we do this?

There is a policy in place which precludes a family member from directly reporting to another family member. ECSA has determined the definition of ‘family member’ extends to:

  • Grandparent
  • Parent/ step-parent
  • Spouse/ domestic partner
  • Child (son/daughter)/ step-child
  • Sibling (brother/sister)/ step-sibling
  • Grandchild
  • Uncle/ Aunt
  • Nephew/ Niece
  • Cousin

If you would like to work with a family member, you are able to so long as you don’t directly report to (and/or be supervised by) a family member.

Does completing a Registration of Interest mean I will be working at the election?

No. A Registration of Interest does not guarantee you will receive an offer of employment for a casual election role.

Prior work at an election does not guarantee you will be offered a position in 2022.

Will I be able to tell you where I want to work and in what role?

Yes. As part of the Registration of Interest process you will be asked to nominate up to 3 preferred work locations and up to 5 preferred election positions, although no guarantees can be made you will be offered a preferred location or role.

When will employment offers be made?

The Returning Officer in each District will review Registrations of Interest and start making offers of employment from December 2021 until mid-March 2022.

When you are allocated to a role, you will receive an email to your registered email account advising ‘you have received an offer of employment from ECSA. Please login to the ECSA Employment Portal for further information’.

I am receiving emails from an ’Aurion Cloud‘ email address – are these from you?

Aurion is the software provider for the ECSA Employment Portal. These emails are legitimate.

When will I need to work?

You may be required to work during business hours, weekends, after hours for extended periods; including travelling to remote locations, depending on the position.

Most temporary election staff working on Polling Day are required to start between 7.00 and 7.30 am and finish approximately 10.30 pm, when all duties are completed in the polling booth (including the counting of ballot papers).

The duty statement for each position will provide an indication of the required hours of work.

Do I have to work the whole of Polling Day?

You can nominate to work in the role of Polling Assistant and complete a 4 hour shift. All other Polling Day roles will require you to start between 7.00 and 7.30 am and finish at the close of counting ballot papers, approximately 10.30 pm.

What if I can’t work my shift?

If you find yourself unable to work for any reason, please contact your supervisor or advise by email to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. as soon as possible.

Will I be paid for travelling to and from work?

It is your responsibility to make sure you can attend your workplace on time and that you have a safe option for getting home.

ECSA is not responsible for any costs incurred for your transport to and/or from the workplace, or while you are attending work.

What should I wear?

ECSA does not have a specific dress code for temporary election workers, but you are expected to wear practical, appropriate clothing and present in a neat and well-groomed manner. Inappropriate clothing includes singlets, thongs, or t-shirts with offensive images or messages.

As you could be working a long, and at times physically demanding shift, it is suggested you wear flat, practical, and supportive footwear and consider the weather conditions and venue when choosing your clothes.

Will I receive a meal during my shift on Polling Day?

You will have access to drinking water at your voting centre, but food and other drinks are not supplied. Also be aware that you might not be based near a shop or café so make sure you bring enough food and drink to last your shift.

What will I be paid?

If you work on Polling Day, you will receive a remuneration package based on your role which will cover the hours you work, compulsory training and allowances (if any).

If you work before or after Polling Day, you will be paid an hourly rate based on your role, including 25% casual loading, which will cover the hours you work and compulsory training.

Please note temporary election workers are paid a casual loading in lieu of paid leave, and casual loading will not be paid on any hours where overtime is paid.

Remuneration packages and hourly rates are outlined in the Determination

Will I have to pay tax?

Yes. The exact amount of tax withheld will depend on your individual circumstances.

To determine the amount of tax withheld by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) with and without a tax-free threshold, please refer to the weekly tax table document on the ATO website.

For information on receiving income from more than one job refer to the ATO website.

When will I be paid?

You will be paid, in arrears, by electronic funds transfer into the bank account you nominate during the Registration of Interest process.

If you are employed to work on Polling Day, you will be paid on the Friday of the following week.

For non-polling days, you will need to complete a timesheet in the ECSA employment portal and submit it for approval on the Tuesday following the week you have worked. If your timesheet has been approved by 3.30 pm on the Tuesday, you will be paid the Friday immediately following the week worked.

Didn’t find the answer to your question? Contact us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..